Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dieting at the grocery store

I am a die-hard bargain shopper. Put a good deal in front of me, and suddenly something I'd never consider buying becomes tempting. So it was at the grocery store today.

On my way to the produce section, I had to make my way through the bakery/deli, and there I saw a huge sign: 99 cents (regularly $2.99). What was on sale? Cookies. Mini chocolate chip cookies, mini sugar cookies, mini pink lemonade cookies. They all sounded great, especially since I have some friends coming over tonight. My rationale was that they'd be good for nibbling on. Then the great debate began inside me. Yes this was a great bargain money-wise, but what about calorie-wise. These were tiny little cookies, and yet, the chocolate chip cookies came in with the lowest calorie count: 30 calories apiece. Who could eat just one, or two, and at three, you're nearly at 100 calories. Besides, I knew these cookies would have the Lay's potato chip phenomenon: "No one can eat just one." Still, I put a couple of cartons of cookies in my cart.

I ventured on over to the produce section. Ahhhh, strawberries on sale. Two cartons went in the cart. Yum, blueberries on sale for just $1 a carton. Hmmmm, the same price as those cookies. I put four cartons in my cart. Then the piece de resistance!!! Blackberries for $1 a carton!!! I absolutely love blackberries, not to mention they would be healthy. I started to put in about six cartons of blackberries, then I thought, "Wouldn't you really rather have those blackberries than te cookies?" I decided to load up with 12 cartons of blackberries knowing those would be an incredible snack I could eat and enjoy because they also would be keeping me on track. In fact, guess what I had as soon as I got home! (And the cookies went back on the table, not in my cart.)

When I picked up the strawberries, I decided to make some of my awesome strawberry shortcake for when my friends were over. I think it's one of the best things I make, and I figured that if I made that when people were coming over, I wouldn't have much left for later. Besides, as desserts go, I figure shortcake isn't too bad. And, I can have a small piece, then pile on the strawberries. Even though I had that plan, I have to tell you I paused at the Marie Callendar's pies on sale for $3.88, less than half price. And then there were two displays of them. I stopped both times, but I didn't buy any.

Dieting really does begin in the grocery store, and today, I give myself an A!

No comments:

Post a Comment