Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sharing a high-five

Sorry I haven't made an entry here in about a week, but I'm doing great with my diet and exercise. Remember when I said I weighed myself that night at the gym? Well, yesterday, I weighed myself in the morning instead of night, and with no shoes on. But I weighed in 10 pounds lighter!!! I was so excited. When I told Matt, my personal trainer, during our workout earlier today, I got excited all over again. He immediately gave me a high five and was so happy. It was great to see someone else that excited about my weight loss.

Matt has kept me in this for the past year, even when I wasn't too motivated. I especially struggled because I was getting winded easily after I had pneumonia last fall. After some tests and some scares, things are OK. I just needed to work my way back, and Matt's been very encouraging along the way.

I've known all along that no matter what, though, it is up to me to find that inner strength that puts me on track for a healthier lifestyle. I've started diets many times before, but this time is different. I haven't been doing this all that long, but in the past, I would have been tempted by something by now. Also, I'd be finding a million reasons why I couldn't exercise. Not enough time, it's too late, etc. I'm so happy that this time, I WANT to exercise.

Christine, a friend at work, sent me a link to one of her favorite blogs. It was about habits, and how we focus on bad habits, but we have good habits, too. The blogger talked about how, if we just make something like exercise part of our schedule, pretty soon, we're doing it without even thinking about it. It just becomes part of our daily routine. That's my goal, to just make exercise a regular part of my life. I have to carve out time for it, and then embrace and enjoy it.

I really do like the way I feel after working out or taking a walk. I feel a sense of accomplishment, but beyond that, I feel...sort of, clean, inside. It also makes me feel more alive, even if it's at the end of the day and I'm exhausted. I still feel, I don't know, satisfied. I don't know quite how to explain it.

I want to thank those of you who have said something encouraging in person or wrote something to me in Facebook or email. This means more to me than you can guess, just knowing that you're wishing me well. Yes, I need to find that motivation deep inside, but those of you who know me also know that I'm a very social person. Having friends cheering me along the way really helps. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Ome, another co-worker. Ome recently lost weight herself, and she looks beautiful. She has stopped by my office every day and has offered helpful tips and encouragement--and has been pushing me to blog more. She mentioned following a weight loss program she found on womenshealthmag.com. It has a grocery list for the week, recipes, and a workout plan. I've poked around the site a little bit but haven't got to look at it like I want. I'll definitely be looking into it further.

In the meantime, I'm planning head for dinner tonight. We're going to Avanti's, and the bread there is a downfall of mine. I've made up my mind: one slice of bread with my salad, no more. Wish me well!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray, Nancy!!!! 10 lbs is wonderful! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete