Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Whoa!

Well, I got a wake-up call today. I went to the doctor and he used the "i" word: insulin. My numbers were up last time I had a blood test, and I had another blood test today. Hopefully those numbers will be better than last time. I have been eating better and exercising more, but I told my doctor that before we go down the "i" route, I want to put more effort into eating right and exercising more.
My Mom takes insulin for her diabetes, and I feel it is a major major step that I don't want to take...at least I want to delay it as long as I can. Good thing I made that resolution about no desserts this year. That should help my blood sugar numbers, I'd think.
I told Andy about it, and he has suggested that I read about using apple cider vinegar to reduce my blood sugar. I went online and read some about it, and it sounds like it's pretty effective. It can't hurt, right? Though Andy and a lot of other people online say it tastes nasty. Still, that's a small price to pay if it keeps me from having to go on insulin. I think I have some in my cupboard...if not, a trip to the grocery store is in order.
Lucky for me, I have a pot of vegetable soup waiting for me at home so I don't need to put a lot of thought into what I can have for dinner tonight. (And yes, I splurged at lunch with a burger and onion rings from the Spotted Cow and a few minutes ago, I broke my resolution and went to Sweet CeCe's with some co-workers for one last splurge of frozen yogurt--non-fat.) Now I need to get super-serious.
I'm sure they'll call me in a day or two with the results of my blood test, but I'm not waiting to hear back. The diet starts with dinner tonight. I'll be reading all I can get my hands on about blood sugar reducing foods...and I already know that exercise is one of the quickest ways to lower blood sugar.
I'm not feeling much "peace" right now...sort of a sickening, churning feeling. So I'm going to need to have some devotion time tonight and get in touch with my spiritual side, too. I'm so glad I don't have plans for tonight. I think it's going to be a good time to get in the right mindset, fight off anything negative I'm feeling right now, and get down to business.
Suddenly, this is more than something I want to do. The abstract "doing it for my health" thing is gone and now it's real. Now it's something I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment