Thursday, March 1, 2012

Stepping it up

In case you didn't read last night's blog, I am on the brink of having to start using insulin for diabetes. I learned this at the doctor yesterday. Even though I knew my numbers had been up last time I went there, I was in denial. I had a blood test yesterday, and hopefully the numbers will be better, but whether they are or not, this has been enough of a scare that I am approaching my eating and exercise lifestyle with renewed vigor.

So last night, as I was trying to process all of this, I hunkered down in my house and just became a couch potato. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I didn't want to think about it. I played Facebook games and read the newspaper while watching reruns of Big Bang Theory and later, American Idol. It was great to get my mind off things, but then when I went to bed, it took me awhile to get to sleep because my mind still needed to work out everything. I had a conversation with God, and I know He is there for me as long as I let Him in. I know this can be a turning point for me to a healthier life, but last night, it just felt a little bit like the end of the world as I know it.

So I let myself cry a little and feel sorry for myself for only a little while. Before I went to sleep, I had gone through the full range of emotions that comes from knowing you are at a crossroads where you have to choose whether you are going to help yourself or let yourself continue to go in a downward spiral. There is far too much of life that I want to experience. I am not going to let food and balking at doing less than an hour of exercise prevent me from leading a full life. After a good, strong pep talk, I was able tof all asleep and woke up this morning with a good outlook.

I know that going out to eat frequently has undoubtedly added to my weight issues, but at the same time, it's a very important part of my social life that is important to me. So, I really need to work on finding the right foods when I go out and be even more conscientious about it. I found this website, which lists several chain restaurants in the Peoria area with the nutritional value for the healthier choices. This will be a good start. I think I need to start a folder with menus from these restaurants and others so that when I'm out and about, I can make the right choices.

Here's the website: http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/SearchList.aspx?Code=PEORIA,%20ILLINOIS&&Miles=10

I will say this, I didn't give a second thought to getting up and working out this morning. So often, I think, "ugh!", even though I go ahead and do it. Today, I didn't think about how much I wanted to do it. I just did it.

One of the others working out at the gym finished before me and made the comment as she's leaving, "I'm so glad when that's done." That's exactly how I feel. I don't think I'll ever like working out, but I do like how it impacts my health. And that's what I need to concentrate on. I need to not look at the drudgery of working out. I need to look at the sense of accomplishment once it's done.

And the best bonus is I get to work out with my very dear friend Lynn. She is such a wonderful support and makes getting up in the morning well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment