Friday, July 18, 2014

A fork in the road

Well, my journey has taken a turn. A couple of weeks ago, I had a routine check-up at the doctor. My blood test revealed that my A1C, which tests my blood sugar over the past three months, had spiked. It's supposed to be at 7, but mine was at 10. So, my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist. I had my appointment on Tuesday, and he put me on three new diabetes medicines. I've had diabetes since 2001, but it has been under control and I haven't worried about it too much. It now has my full attention! All three of these medicines have different side effects, and in the past few days, I've dealt with nausea, stomach issues, low blood sugar, severe headaches...just plain not feeling well. I came into work late one morning, but other than that, I've been working and last night, I was feeling better and had a great night out with friends. But yesterday during the day, I felt lousy until maybe 2 p.m., and today, I have a bit of a headache and can't quit yawning. It's no big deal. I can get through this. The doctor told me he wished he had a crystal ball and could tell me which medicines are going to be the right combination for me so I can get my blood sugar under control, but it varies from person to person. Untold numbers of people have been through this before, and I'll get through it, too. I also am going to be tested for another ailment on Monday. No need to bore you with details if I don't have it, though, so I'll wait to talk about it. It's nothing awful--actually, I truly do have a lot of the symptoms, and if they all could be taken care of by treating this, I would be thankful. I still am going to go to Weight Watchers. When I weighed in yesterday, I had stayed the same. However, I was on vacation last week while my son was back in town, and I splurged some while he was back, so I am satisfied with staying the same. One of my new meds has a side effect of being an appetite suppressant, and I have to say, it is working. I get full faster, and then, until I feel my body physically being hungry, I'm not thinking about food. WHAT???? Me??? My doctor told him that he actually had one patient tell him that he wanted to be taken off the medication because he didn't enjoy food like he used to. It IS kind of a weird thing, but it's also a good thing. There are so many more sweet things to enjoy in life, and I embrace them all. So, my journey is going to be more focused on controlling diabetes, along with weight loss. I hope you don't mind. I am what I am!

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, I hope you feel better soon and that the side affects dissipate. I'm always glad to read your blog, whether it's about weight loss, diabetes or just chit chat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Virginia. I am just getting caught up on the comments. I always enjoy reading your blog, too. It feels like we've just had a little visit whenever I do. :-) Yay for social media! It keeps me very social.

    ReplyDelete