Thursday, July 24, 2014

Weigh-In Day: -4.6 lbs.

Well, the meds may be wreaking havoc on me with headaches and stomach issues, but on the plus side, I saw some happy results on the scale. I lost 4.6 pounds this week! It's not just the medicine--I DO get to take some of the credit. I have very faithfully been following the low-carb diet my doctor prescribed. Whole wheat bread is about the only carb I can have, and I have really been limiting that. You know the Flat Out flatbread you can buy? Well, I found Flat Out "fold over" bread that's 100 percent whole wheat with flax. It's like two smaller round pieces of flatbread that are attached, if you can picture that. At the grocery store, I was able to get a fajita mix that I cooked for just about five minutes and then put in the fold over bread--yummy and so easy! I also mixed up some scrambled eggs with mushrooms, green peppers, and a little goat cheese and put that in the fold over bread for another meal. Other than that, I have not had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. (Local readers: the fold over bread and the fajita mix, available with either chicken or steak for $3.99 lb., both came from Haddad's Grocery in West Peoria.) I have a new favorite place for lunch: Chicky Baba, a new Lebanese restaurant in Campustown. They are really helpful in keeping me on my diet. I get the kid's portion of whatever meal I want--shawarma, kabob, whatever--and ask to have it with no wrap, no rice, no fries. They are kind enough to offer to serve the meat on lettuce and give me pickles and a side of hummus instead. This place has something like 10 kinds of hummus, so it's a real treat. I realize hummus would have some carbs, but it is basically mashed up chickpeas--and since that's a vegetable, I go with it. I love, love, love this place. Even if you don't live in the Peoria area, maybe you can find a Lebanese or Greek restaurant in your area that will do something similar. This place is awesome whether you are dieting or not. I can't say enough good things about it. Finally, I must apologize. When I write my posts, I put in paragraph returns, but for some reason, they don't show up in the published blog. This drives me crazy! If you know what I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, can we go on a Chicky Baba date the next time we're in Illinois? Sounds delicious!!!

    Hooray for the weight loss!! Always feels good to see that scale go down after really and truly trying, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure, Chicky Baba it is!!! They even started lunch specials this week that sound amazing. i haven't gotten over there to try them out, but you can bet I will! And yes, it is such a good feeling to see the scale gown down, I am very excited.

      Delete