Monday, July 21, 2014

Conquering the meds

Well, today is a much better day. It's the first day since I started on my new meds that I have not had a headache...a SEVERE headache. Let's just say, it was a very quiet weekend for me. On Saturday, I also started the last of the three meds--there had been an insurance snafu because it was a combo medicine, and I had a prescription for one of the two meds, so we had to go through a rig-a-ma-rol (is that a word?) with the insurance company. When I was at the pharmacy, I asked the pharmacist about the headaches. She did a little research and told me she was sorry to tell me, but ALL THREE meds have headaches as a side effect. She advised me to stick with it for a week more and see if my body adjusts, and if not, to tell my doctor. Well, today, I had to go back to the doctor's office for a blood test, so I decided I would ask then. Of course, it's like taking the car into the mechanic and the car doesn't make the funny noise when you are there. My headache was gone...no complaints, but isn't that the way it is??? I asked anyway, especially because I am supposed to double the dose of one of my meds starting tomorrow night. The nurse told me that if the headaches return as I increase the dosage, I should scale back for a week and try to increase it again. Such fun! One good thing, though, is that I am not experiencing the nausea I felt at first, so my body does seem to be adjusting. I also need to increase another of my meds--one that causes stomach issues, if you know what I mean. Oh joy. Ah, well, I hope that once my body adjusts, I will feel well, lose weight, and have good readings for my blood sugar. Venturing into the diet realm, I am really proud of what I did for lunch at the little Mexican restaurant just around the corner from where I work. I ordered a taco salad on the plate instead of in the tortilla bowl. Then, because I love, love, love the tortilla chips but have been told not to have any breads (other than occasional whole wheat bread), I asked if I could have some fresh green pepper strips to dip in the salsa. I could tell the waiter had never had such a request and probably thought I was a little crazy, but he did it! It was great! I often dip celery in salsa at home, but I figured they wouldn't have celery on hand. However, they have green peppers for fajitas, so I decided to ask. I didn't even miss the chips! Oh, and also, I'm giving myself kudos because instead of going to the ice cream social, featuring probably six flavors of homemade ice cream, that is happening in my building right now, I am stay away, working except for the five minutes it takes to write this. I'd love to socialize, but I'm not going to deal with that kind of temptation. So, all in all, I'm feeling better, my will power is going strong, and hopefully, I'll be seeing a weight loss this week. Happy Monday to you all. If you are healthy, it truly is cause to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment