Sunday, January 15, 2012

David-sized faith

This morning's sermon really struck a chord with me. The pastor talked about taking down Goliath-sized problems with David-sized faith. Maybe me losing weight isn't the same level of "problem" as what others are facing, but still, I realized that I need to have David-sized faith to be successful in my weight loss journey. This is not just a 10- or 20-pound weight lost journey; I have a large amount of weight to lose, my Goliath, and the only way I am going to succeed at this is if, like David, I know that no monster is too big with God by my side.
My family went out to lunch to a steak house, and as I looked at the menu, I saw many tempting choices. But then, there was this "Health Nut" section. I'd look at the other choices, but my eyes kept going back to the "Health Nut" section. Would that have happened if I hadn't been praying for God to be at my side this time? I don't think so. I felt empowered; an empowerment I know comes from God.
Don't you have to just sit and smile when you feel God's presence like that? He is there, around us, in us, in each other, every second of every day. However, at times, His presence, His strength, His guidance seems even more apparent. I know other believers know exactly what I mean.
It's funny how my thoughts on peace intertwine so much with this weight loss journey. I'm sure it's because prayer is so much a part of it this time. I just haven't prayed much about my weight loss in the past because I didn't think it was significant enough to pray about. Now I realize it's significant because I am significant to God. He has a plan for me, and if I am to accomplish that plan, I need to be healthier, more up for the challenge. I am no longer going to allow food to be my comfort, my go-to thing when I'm bored, my big temptation. I am focusing my cravings away from food and toward God. It's a hard habit to break; yes, sometimes I want to grab a snack even when I'm not hungry. But instead, I am training myself to pray or to read a devotion...to focus on God instead.
Tonight, I think about the peace in knowing my David-sized faith is enough to overcome the biggest challenges, the biggest problems, the biggest hurts. David was far from perfect, but yet his faith was strong. God looked past David's faults and saw the pure love and faith he had for God. Doesn't that assurance put your soul at peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment