Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Impossible?

I have been overweight since I was six years old. For those of you who have not had a lifelong weight problem, it may seem odd to have this thought, but I really can't imagine what it would be like to be a "normal" weight. I lost a good amount of weight in high school and probably appeared "normal" to everyone else, but even then, I didn't feel that way inside. As an adult, I've started diet after diet, but it's never been that I have 5 or 10 pounds to lose. As a young adult, I probably needed to lose 20 or 30...a baby, and I probably needed to lose 50...a divorce, and you can push that number to 100.
So, I've needed to lose massive amounts of weight for a very long time. I start diets with all the best intentions, and who knows how many pounds I've lost (and found) over the years. Then I get to a point where I start believing that I'm supposed to be fat. It's my destiny. It's all I've ever known. It's impossible to be thin/"normal".
But now, here I am, praying about this thing that I never thought was important enough to pray about. Praying for myself? To lose weight? Shouldn't I reserve my prayers for others, for more important issues like illnesses and difficult situations and things like that?
I've gotten past that. This IS important; this IS my health; this IS me putting God first in my life. And with God, all things are possible. I know that, I know that with all my heart.
But, have you ever had something so massive that you just get overwhelmed? I'm doing well so far with my new diet, but part of me fears that this ugly "you're meant to be fat" mantra will reappear.
Yesterday, I was reading Lysa TerKeurst's blog and again was inspired. She wrote that in every impossibility, there is a weakness. What a great attitude. I know what the impossibility is in my weight loss. Actually, I can think of several. It's the amount of weight, it's getting discouraged, it's being tempted, it's skipping exercise.
This time, though, I've found the weakness, or rather the strength. This time, every time I am tempted to eat something I shouldn't or when I want to stay in bed instead of getting up and working out, I am turning to God.
"Help me out, God," and you know what, He always does. I can't say it happens instantly. I know that He is making me rally my strength from within. He is making me ask over and over for His help. He is making me realize that the only way I can do this is with Him as my coach.
Writing this just made me picture God in a gray sweatshirt and black sweatpants with a ball cap on, a whistle in his mouth, and a smile on his face.
He is my weakness? Only in the impossibility. He is my strength, and losing the weight I need to shed is possible.
This impossible mountain ahead of me isn't impossible because I've found its weakness...AND IT'S GOING DOWN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment