Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'll take a peace

Lysa TerKeurst posted this today:
The peace that flows despite circumstances can only be found through Jesus being with us. That's why Jesus phrased it the way he did, "Peace be with you!" In other words, you can walk through anything if you realize that He is peace and He is with you.

As I start to reflect on peace, that's the message that keeps coming through to me. It doesn't matter what's happening in our lives, how hectic our schedule is, what difficulties we've had to overcome. As long as we have Jesus in our hearts, then we are at peace.

Satan wants to cause conflict and chaos in the hope that we'll get so wrapped up in the hurt, conflict, anger, whatever that we concentrate on that instead of the peace of Jesus Christ. We all have to resolve, or sometimes remove ourselves, from ugly situations that break our focus on God in whatever way works best for us. The biggest thing is that we must focus our hearts on God and Jesus, for as Lysa says, He is peace and He is with you.

Regarding my diet, I forced myself to get up early to workout yesterday. I had plans to go with friends to a Chinese buffet, different from the one I had gone to with my sisters the other day. I really watched what I was eating all day. I knew they had coconut thrimp at this buffet, one of my very favorites, and told myself I could have a little of it. The only bad thing is I went back up and had a little more. So I'm disappointed that I didn't stick with the one small serving, but other than that, I think I did well and I'm not going to kick myself over a few coconut shrimp.That's in the past, and besides, this is a lifestyle change. I have to find a way to allow myself to have treats here and there and remember moderation is the key.

I'm still going strong on the no desserts resolution. There are only two pieces left in that box of candy outside my office so surely that will be gone soon. I know they would have been gone long ago before I made this resolution. I really believe this year of no desserts is going to train me to exercise moderation, and I am very excited. I think it will make me stop and think about whether I like something enough to choose it as a rare sweet indulgence.

And you know, that gives me peace, too. It's knowing that with God, I can resist temptations here and there and focus on what He has in store for me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment