Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Listening for the whispers

I saw something about "peace" today that I really liked: "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of these things and still feel calm in your heart."

I think this is true in so many aspects of life. It's certainly true in our spiritual journeys. I guess that's the one thing about this past year. I really felt that God was pushing me in a direction I never thought I'd be taking, but through it all, His voice came through loud and clear. When I started doing what He wanted me to do, the sleepless nights stopped, and I had so many whispers from Him that I was doing what He wanted me to do. Yes, there was noise, but there also was this incredible sense of calm.

Now, applying this to my weight loss: OK, so I just got back on to this on Monday, but let me say, I do find that when I'm tempted to absentmindedly reach for something to nibble on, I stop and think, "Now, am I really hungry? Is this what God wants me to do?" And all of a sudden, when I ask for God to step in, He does and somehow I have the strength to resist whatever I was tempted to eat. He helps me realize it's only an hour or so until lunchtime or that my reason for reaching for something to eat has nothing to do with real hunger. I only need to listen for His whispers, His encouragement.

It's only been a few days, but in the past, I have tended not to ask for God's help. I think this isn't a big enough issue for God, that He has better things to tackle than me and my weight problem. But then, I think about being a child of God and that He can count each and every hair on my head. I realize God has a plan for me that I'm not going to be physically able to carry out if I don't let Him help me. This is a partnership, and God's in here, tackling all the big issues and problems of the world, and also having time to help me.

He's that big!

I already knew this and believed it, but I hadn't let myself really fully comprehend it. I have always felt God's presence and love but I have had a hard time allowing myself to pray for myself like this.
Wow, what calm this brings to my heart!

1 comment:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree...our God is bigger than any problem we face no matter how large or how small. It is amazing how God cares about all the details in our lives...even down to what we put in our mouths. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete